Friday, December 10

Bread & Soup





This is my very favorite recipe. I found it in a book about pioneer women and what they cooked in the 1800. Love it!

2 1/2 cups of warm water
2 cups of flour
2tbsp butter
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 pack of yeast or 2 1/4 tsp (in case you use the jar)

Mix all together till smooth (about 3 min) and then let sit for 30 min.

Next
2 cups of white flour
1 1/2 cups of wheat
( 1/2 cup flour on stand by for kneading)

1 tsp olive oil

Add to bowl, use your hands and work it (messy and sticky)...Once it starts to come together Drop dough onto floured counter and knead for 7-10 min. 

(use a timer and do at least the 7 min)


Clean out the bowl you used earlier, dry it and set your ball of dough in the bowl and drop a little olive oil over it and slather over dough..this helps prevent it sticking to the bowl. 

Cover with a towel and let rise for 60 min.
Check dough by pressing w/finger if imprint remains, dough is ready.
take out of bowl, divide into 2, shape into loaf form and drop into to lightly greased pans cover with towel. 

let rise again for 60 min. 
Heat over on 375 and bake for 45 min. 


Some additional options. 
I usually play around with the recipe sometimes I do 2 cups of wheat flour and 1cup of white and then 1/4 cup wheat germ and 1/4 cup flax seed.
I have also added sesame seeds and other seeds and nuts. I suggest playing around. Oh and if you want to double the recipe just remember not double the yeast!!!


Let me know how you make out!

And what goes better with fresh baked bread right out of the oven?? well soup of course!

On the menu started to be pheasant and corn chowder but being that I am sick and all I decided to add everything I could into this pot of yummy goodness, I do declare it a pheasant and veggie chowder!!



No comments: